We LOVE spaghetti in this house! The fun part about spaghetti is there are so many ways to spice it up! I picked up some red peppers that were on MAJOR sale this weekend and got the idea to use them for a marinara sauce. The results were delish!
- 4 red bell peppers, cut into 4 pieces (seeds removed)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 28-oz cans of whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- On a baking sheet, toss red bell peppers and 1 tablespoon of oil together and lay in a single layer. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until the bell peppers are tender and there are some black char marks.
- While the peppers are in the oven, combine the diced onion and 1 clove of garlic in 1 tbsp of oil. Sautee for 5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add to a food processor with the bell pepper when it’s ready. Then also add tomatoes and their juice, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt, black pepper, 2 tbsp of olive oil. Process until combined and smooth. Return to pot, add red wine and simmer on low heat.
- Use a vegetable spiralizer or Vegetti to turn make zucchini noodles. In a skillet (can be the same one we used before), add the zucchini with the oil and sautee for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, top the zucchini with the roasted red pepper & tomato sauce.
**OPTIONAL: You can peel the charred skin off the red peppers for a smoother sauce texture. Be sure to let it cool!! I let mine sit for several minutes, then ran them under cold water while I peeled them.