Nothing says Summer like fresh veggies and citrus! This salad was light but packed a punch in flavor. It comes together quickly and makes great leftovers. The longer you let the kale marinade with the dressing, the better! I added a piece of fresh grilled salmon for added protein. This recipe is definitely a winner!
Recipe from Katya, http://www.littlebroken.com/
- 8 cups chopped kale (leafy parts only, no stems)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 grapefruit, one half peeled + segmented and other half juiced (see note below)
- ⅓ cup shaved parmesan cheese (I used crumbled goat cheese instead)
- 2 Tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds or sliced almonds
Dijon Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp. finely chopped shallot
- 3 Tbsp. fresh grapefruit juice (see note below) (I used the juice from one orange instead)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ****I added shaved brussel sprouts and dried cranberries because we had some on hand
- Prepare the salad vinaigrette. In a bowl of a food processor, combine the shallot, grapefruit juice, olive oil, and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Process until well blended.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with the salad vinaigrette. You can use your hands to massage the vinaigrette into the kale as it breaks down the leaves a bit. Then transfer the kale to a serving bowl or platter and let stand for 10 minutes while it slightly softens.
- While the kale is softening, peel and slice the avocado and segment the grapefruit.
- After 10 minutes, arrange the avocado and grapefruit slices over the kale greens. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.
You will need a total of one grapefruit for this recipe. One half of the grapefruit will go in the salad and the other half juiced for the vinaigrette.