If you are looking for a SERIOUSLY quick and easy gourmet breakfast, look no further! These cloud eggs are the bomb and take about 10 minutes to prepare and cook. I plan to impress houseguests with this one.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 6 minutes
4 large eggs
1/2 c. Asiago cheese, finely grated, divided
Salt and black pepper, to taste
** Feel free to use a different type of cheese and also add other seasonings, chives, green onion, etc. to the egg white mix.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Crack and separate eggs, placing the whites in a large mixing bowl and reserving the yolks in another bowl. Season egg whites with salt and pepper and other seasonings at this time.
** It works well if you place each individual egg yolk in it’s own dish, to keep them from breaking. If they do that’s okay, the recipe will still turn out, just not as pretty.
3. Using a hand mixer or immersion blender, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold in 2/3 of the Asiago cheese (or cheese of choice) into the bowl. **Be careful not to deflate the egg whites in the process! Spoon the whipped egg white mixture onto the prepared baking sheet into four piles, leaving room between each mound, they will expand slightly. With the back of a spoon, create an indent in the center of each mound and place baking sheet on center rack in preheated oven and bake for 3 minutes.
5. After 3 minutes, remove from oven and transfer yolks into the indent of each mount. Sprinkle each mound with half of the remaining cheese and return to oven and bake another 3-5 minutes or until yolks are set and egg whites are golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve immediately. You can pair them with your favorite breakfast side dish, or enjoy it as a great high protein snack too!