Last weekend we hosted family at our house and I was tasked with making lots of food for the masses! My brother in-law has a severe gluten allergy, so my goal was to make everything gluten-free. Turns out it’s really not that hard! It takes a little food label reading, but otherwise not tricky at all. This breakfast bake was a hit with everyone.
- 1lb pork sausage
- 1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8oz sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 8oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- 4 cups (about 20oz,) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed (look for GF on the label)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then spray a 9×13″ baking dish with GF nonstick spray OR coat the dish with coconut oil, and set aside. Brown sausage with shallot in a large skillet over medium-high heat then drain if desired and set aside to cool slightly (can be done ahead of time.)
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in a very large bowl, add sour cream and milk, kale and then whisk until smooth. Add 3/4 of the shredded cheese (about 6oz,) the cooked sausage, and thawed hash browns to the bowl then stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish then smooth with a spatula until liquid is evenly distributed. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top then cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove foil then bake for 5 more minutes or until top is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.